The eternal fight that keeps on occurring between tea lovers remains – is white tea better or green tea? Categorically speaking, not many people know about the benefits of white tea as it is comparatively new in the market. Though white tea is said to have been in practice in China over the last two centuries, it took some time to reach out to people. Considered as one of the most delicate varieties of tea, white tea is minimally processed and gets harvested even before the leaves are fully bloomed. Tea lovers from around the world always maintain to swear by some best white tea brands since lowly brands are often likely to oxidize the tea leaves, thereby losing its fine taste and flavor in the process. As the leaves of the Camellia Sinensis plant are processed in its stage of unopened buds with silvery-white hairs on the top, the tea derives its name from that. However, contrary to its suggestive name, the color is pale yellow and not milky white with a taste that is considered lighter than traditional green or black tea. Originating from China, white tea is extensively produced in Taiwan, Eastern Nepal, Thailand and parts of Northeast India.
The Best Varieties of White Tea
The variations of the white tea gets categorized according to its shape, size and color. Depending on the areas of its cultivation, the white teas can be divided into the following types:
Silver Needle (Baihao Yinzhen) – The finest of the lot, the Silver Needle only consists of silvery white buds. It is not only delightful to drink but also is a bewitching sight to behold! The needle-like long threads come with a delicate and light flavor. People with a slight inclination towards sweet tooth prefer this variety over others.
White Peony (Bai Mudan) – Considered to be the second best, White Peony includes the smallest of the leaves and buds. The best white tea brands in the world sell White Peony with both buds and leaves covered in fine silvery hair tufts. It has a more distinct taste and darker tone than the Silver Needle.
Long Life Eyebrow (Shou Mei) – This ranges a bit lower in the rank. Shou Mei is derived from the leaves that are left after harvesting Silver Needle and White Peony. However, even then this certain type is quite rich in antioxidants and is beneficial to health.
Tribute Eyebrow (Gong Mei) – This is also a comparatively inferior kind of white tea and is conjured from a special and different tea bush. Gong Mei is not processed like other white teas and has a rather distinct way of brewing.
Best White Tea Brands in 2020: Our Top 10 Picks
When it comes to white tea manufacturing, selecting the raw material is quite a stringent process. Therefore, it is always advisable to trust the best of the lot that is out there in order to enjoy white tea in its purest form.
1. China Organic White Tea Silver Needle Bai Hao Yin Zhen
Silver Needle White Tea is slightly fermented and acquires its name primarily from its shape and color. This tea has silver-colored tea hair and is shaped like a needle. Mainly grown in the Yunnan province of China, the silver needle white tea has antioxidant properties. Bai Hao Yin Zhen has been mesmerizing tea tasters from over the world for quite some time with its savory aroma and a dazzling sheen to its liquid. The raw material, obtained from the Yun Nan De Guan Tree, is harvested for merely a couple of days in the Spring season. Though this tea falls under the category of one of the most highly-priced teas ever, people still prefer to buy it as the silver needle white tea can easily be classified into the top ten best white teas when it comes to taste. With skin enhancing properties and lesser caffeine content, Bai Hao Yin Zhen soothes an individual with its mild taste and scent. If stored in a cool dry place, this tea is likely to remain fresh for a very long time and is perfectly damp and odor-proof, and hence Imperial Yunnan Silver Needle is one of the most popular Chinese tea brands.
2. Twinings of London Fujian Chinese Pure White Tea
Back in 1706, a man named Thomas Twining thought of opening the House of Twinings in Tom’s Coffee House. Little did he know that by 1717, his brand would go on to become one of the best in the market. As Twinings worked hard for his passion for making people taste the finest of teas, he introduced London Fujian Chinese Pure White Tea that instantly won the hearts of all around the world with its smooth flavor and light yet savoring taste. When it comes to Twinings, they claim to have the best white tea bags in their production. With six boxes of twenty tea bags, you are just one step away from opening the package and letting the tea bag brew in hot water for two minutes before enjoying the fresh taste of the white tea. The refreshing aroma comes after the finest tea leaves are cultivated and hand-picked from several tea gardens. As per the name, this white tea is grown in the Fujian province of China. The manufacturers select the tender-most tips of the tea bushes so that the taste comes out naturally without adding any hint of artificial flavor. Twinings guarantee its consumers with a wholesome tea experience.
3. Numi Organic Tea Orange Spice White Tea
Numi Organic Tea has made a mark with its quality of including full-leaf organic teas and no tea dust or fanning. This brand went on to make a distinguished place in the market with its unique blend of flavors. Numi Organic Tea mostly infuses the white tea with the essence of various spices, fruits and flowers. With no artificial flavors added, Numi Organic Tea Orange Spice not only gives you the rich taste of white tea but also adds a note of citrusy tang and spice. This organic tea gets infused with lemongrass, orange peel and dried schizandra berries and acquires a slightly sweet taste. If you fall under the category who want to enjoy the smoothness of the best white tea brand along with a dash of some other flavor bursting in the mouth, Numi Organic Tea is the way for you to go! The sublime blend of luxurious spices with complex citrus notes cuts through the pale taste of the white tea and takes the taste a notch higher. While most white teas have to be consumed hot, The Orange Spice White Tea can also be enjoyed as iced tea with cubes of ice added to it. The caffeine level is medium in this.
4. Special Tea Company Jasmine Silver Needle Organic White Tea
How about sweetening the white tea for a change with honey or sugar? Or how would you like to get a cool feeling of chewing on a mint candy without having to actually chew one? Special Tea Company Jasmine Silver Needle Organic White Tea can be enjoyed either way. This delicious mint tea comes with the perfect combination of organic white tea, peppermint, spearmint and a little dash of lemongrass. If you are not in for honey or sugar, this tea can simply be brewed in hot water and then enjoyed as it is. Since its inception, the Special Tea Company is undoubtedly one of the best white tea loose leaf sellers. They started with traditional teas and soon moved on to launch a line of blended teas as well. With Chamomile, Earl Grey, Peppermint, Chai Spice etc. in their bag of flavors, it can easily be assumed that the Special Tea Company is certified to be one of the best. Their white tea is perfect to start the day with or to drain the fatigue after a long hard day. The incredibly flavorful Jasmine Silver Needle Organic White Teas are cultivated in the Yinzhen region for years and years and are enhanced with the most fragrant Jasmine flowers.
5. Davidson’s Tea Bulk White Peony Tea
White Peony is mostly known for its nut-like character. Despite its neutral taste, this white tea is crisp in nature and hence has become a favorite for many. Davidson ensures to source its white tea from the best of the tea gardens. With organic White Peony coming from the Zhenghe county in the Fujian province of China, the expert manufacturers touch the tea leaves as lightly as possible so as to not damage the white tufts of hair on the bud. The tea farm is situated high up in the mountains and is entirely surrounded by forests all around. White Peony has always followed the traditional method of cultivation. While the modern practice opts for baking, White Peony has strictly been harvested with the age-old practice of withering. This process includes the tea leaves to be spread out in the sun for a day or two so that it gets withered without any external force application. Being one of the best white tea brands in the world, Davidson protects the actual essence of white tea with this natural process. The sun causes light fermentation without extracting the antioxidant flavors from the tea. The chocolaty undertones of Davidson’s White Peony make a wonderful cuppa for drinking!
6. Oriarm Shou Mei Chinese White Tea
The Shou Mei Chinese White Tea is of exceptional quality and taste and comes from the Fujian province in China. The Oriarm is said to have a more distinct shape and taste than that from the traditional Fujian White Tea and has a certain thick texture. This Chinese white tea not only has beautifying properties but also gives a fruity flavor and is quite rich in antioxidants. In fact, the Oriarm Shou Mei Chinese White Tea is widely appreciated not only by tea connoisseurs but is sought by people who have brittle bones. Continuous white tea consumption strengthens bones and is thus helpful for people with arthritis and osteoporosis. The western world started loving this Chinese product, which exclusively grows in Jinggu, when they found out how distinctly different this variety is from the traditional Silver Needle of the Fujian province. Mostly picked during the harvest of April, the Imperial Silver Needle is plucked at quite a mature age and is lightly fermented for a thick soupy texture. The sweetness and smoothness of this separate it from the Fujian Silver Needle Tea. From maintaining the stresses of daily life to keeping the signs of aging at bay, Oriarm Shou Mei Chinese White Tea is hugely popular due to its medicinal benefits.
7. Darjeeling Whole Leaf White Tea 1st Flush
Hailed from the land of spirituality, this Indian tea brand has completed many years in the business without besmirching its name. With 100% natural teas, the manufacturers at Taj Mahal Tea House tirelessly strive day and night until they get the finest color, taste and texture of the tea. The Darjeeling White Tea is no exception to this and has adorned itself with the silvery hues of purity and breathes in life in its white liquor. This hand-curated white tea undoubtedly has the best flavor packed in for you as it is soaked and baked wide open under the sun. Without a trace of artificial flavor in it, this 1st Flush White Tea takes in the goodness of nature and transforms your tea-sipping experience into a fine gourmet one. This white tea does not have any artificial oil added to it and provides you with the unparalleled benefits in its purest form. Indian Natural Tea Store brings the Taj Mahal Tea House 1st Flush Darjeeling White Tea fresh from the tea garden without the interference of any middleman in between. The caffeine level in this is quite low, thereby helping in relieving stress and losing weight. When consumed with meals, Darjeeling 1st Flush White Tea can also improve metabolism.
8. BESTLEAFTEA – Organic Silver Needle White Tea
Silver Needle or Bai Hao Yin Zhen is one of the most expensive white tea in the market that is cultivated from China’s Fujian Province. The best Silver Needle white tea is produced when the tea buds are at their finest with the tufts of white hair intact on them. Contrary to the name, the color might appear to be slightly yellowish and not totally white when brewed. But it will be lighter than the color of green tea. It takes a good deal of hard work on the part of BESTLEAFTEA to produce the best Silver Needle white tea. After separating the leaves carefully from the stem, the buds are spread out in a single layer so that almost 90% moisture gets dried up in the sun. BESTLEAFTEA ensures to find the top-rated white tea manufacturer and supplier whose good quality Silver Needle can be exported throughout the world. The caffeine content in best white tea brands is always lesser than green tea by up to 5% and also has more antioxidant nutrients. Therefore, white tea is always a healthier version of subtle-flavored and antioxidant-rich tea. Brew the white tea in hot water for two to three minutes before enjoying its taste and quality!
9. VAHDAM Imperial White Tea Leaves from Himalayas
VAHDAM teas has a reputation all across the globe and have been shipping teas to more than eighty-five countries for over 200 years. The manufacturers do not compromise on the quality by selecting the finest tea gardens from across the country and ship the products within days of harvesting. This exclusive white tea comes right from the foothills of the pristine Himalayas. This lightly brewed rich in antioxidant white tea provides a mellow and sweet flavor to the drinker. Moreover, the dazzling silvery tea leaves have been winning the hearts of tea connoisseurs who especially love to see the leaves simmering in hot water. VAHDAM Himalayan white tea contains more flavonoids than green tea or black tea. Unlike some of the other types of tea selling in the market, this white loose leaf tea is considered to be the healthiest and can be enjoyed as either kombucha tea or iced tea. Due to its extremely low caffeine level, you can consume up to 2 to 3 cups a day without causing any damage to your health. VAHDAM makes itself unique with its supply chain model – TEAch Me campaign – where 1% of the revenue is used to provide education to the tea planters’ children.
10. Smith Teamaker White Petal Blend No. 72
The name of Smith Teamaker comes up in the list of exceptionally great Chinese traditional teas. With zero sugar and calorie level, this white tea has skin healing and beautifying properties. The refreshing and light aroma is partnered with a delicate flavor that lingers on the taste buds long after the cuppa is finished! The best white tea brand always advises everyone to have white teas for instant rejuvenation instead of coffee for the latter contains around 100mg of caffeine and the former only 15mg. Smith Teamaker has maintained its quality along with creativity by blending different flavors in the white teas. The pouches are designed in a way that are easy to use, and you do not have to measure every time you want to enjoy a cup of warm soothing white tea. The perfectly-proportioned tea bags are convenient enough for use and have to be brewed lightly in hot water only for a couple of minutes. Smith Teamaker, treating its suppliers with respect since forever, caters to enriching your life with the goodness of nature and thereby produces the best unfiltered and real white teas without a touch of superficial elements in it. All the tea bags are individually wrapped with beautiful packaging for everyone’s confidence.
Best White Tea Blends
Drinking white tea can be considered as one of the most recent trends in the Western world of tea drinking! As tea can easily absorb other flavors and scents, tea makers from all over the world have tried to experiment and enrich the taste all the more. From flowers to herbs, from spices to oils, flavoring tea has become a tradition and a practice in many places. While cardamom and cinnamon can be added to black tea, sugar and honey are used to enhance the subtle taste of green teas. When it comes to best white tea brands, the following are the most commonly seen blends that are often manufactured:
- Machu Peach-u with a touch of fruity peachy flavor to it
- White Mango Ginger blends in the sweetness of mango with a splash of ginger
- Jasmine Silver Needle gives off a whiff of the enchanting smell of jasmine
- Blue Raspberry Iced Tea with the goodness of berries
- Candy Apple White for all the ones out there with a sweet tooth
- Honeydew White Tea packs in the sweetness and freshness
Flavored white teas have become popular over a short period of time. Apart from the health benefits of the tea leaves, people consume the added properties of the natural herbs and oils.
Is White Tea Healthiest?
Know These Benefits Right Now
White tea, often known as the powerhouse of antioxidants, has been the choice of beverage for many to unwind after a long hard day. Little did anyone know that apart from giving instant energy, white tea has a number of health benefits that make it mandatory for consuming on a daily basis.
1. Helps in weight loss – It is a known fact that green tea aids in weight loss. But do you know that white tea can do the job at least five times better? Obesity is one of the rising problems in recent times. Apart from burning the existing fat cells, white tea stops the formation of new ones. Tea catechins are said to have antiangiogenic properties that fight against obesity.
2. Aids in acne treatment – Though not a major health risk element, acne forms permanent scars on the face which no one likes. The best white tea brands pack in the goodness of antiseptic and antioxidant properties which keeps the skin free from cellular damage and also flushes out the toxins from the body. You can also apply the brewed liquor on your face.
3. Can be beneficial during pregnancy – The high amount of antioxidants in white tea provide cell protection against the increased oxidative damage that normally occurs in pregnancy. However, since white tea contains caffeine (though quite lesser than any other beverage), it is advisable to limit the number of cups in a day.
4. Helps in cancer treatment – According to some research, white tea is said to have anti-cancer elements and hence maintain an antiproliferative stance against the cancer cells. As white tea is a photoprotective agent and contains EGCG, it can surely protect the skin cells from DNA damage from damage and considerably slow down the growth of prostate cancer.
5. Improves hair and skin – Replete with antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, white tea strengthens the connective tissue and reduces eczema or dandruff. From inducing hair growth to maintaining the youth of the skin cells, white tea’s high phenol content makes the elastin and collagen stronger.
You might like to read –
6. Helps in the treatment of diabetes – Changing and deteriorating lifestyle habits have led to an increase in diabetic treatments nowadays. Studies have shown that regular consumption of white tea reduces the level of diabetes. The catechins in white tea are seen to have anti-diabetic properties that come in handy to counter the harmful effects.
7. Enhances alertness and energy – As white tea goes through minimal processing, the level of L-theanine remains intact. This very property helps in alerting the mind and hydrates the body as well, thereby sustaining the energy. The amino acid is also useful for improving memory and increasing dopamine and serotonin production in the brain to keep you hail and happy.
8. Improves kidney and liver health – The adverse effect of environmental pollution causes a lot of damage to the kidneys. As you consume the white tea loose leaf, you are reducing the chances of renal failure and lowering the possibility of kidney stones. Its antiviral effects also prevent Hepatitis B infection, which can be quite damaging to the liver.
9. Is good for teeth – White tea contains tannins, flavonoids and fluorides, all of which are beneficial to the teeth in many ways. Whilst tannins stop the formation of plaque, flavonoids resist the growth of plaque bacteria. White tea is less likely than other varieties of teas to color your teeth. In fact, many toothpaste companies add white tea extracts to their products.
10. Makes the digestive system better – If you have to endure frequent bouts of heartburn or indigestion, it is advisable to consume white tea twice a day for prolonged relief. One cup can instantly reduce stomach acidity and lessen nausea and stomach cramps in no time. Embracing white tea is a quite effective way to naturally detoxify the body.
The mildness and freshness of white tea come not only from brewing it right but also from the proper means of withering in the initial harvesting days. Being the least processed of all teas, the white tea is undoubtedly the healthiest and packs in a velvet-like smoothness. To get the best taste, you are advised to select from the best white tea brands available.
If you prefer to go the easy way, then buy teabags. White tea bags are already perfectly measured, and you just need to dip the pouch in hot water, allowing it to brew for 2 to 3 minutes. The addition of extra ingredients like sugar or honey is up to you. If that is not your cup of tea, then just sit back and sip in the natural goodness that comes fresh from the tea gardens!
In case of loose tea leaves, try to cool down the boiling water a tad bit before adding the leaves. White tea leaves are delicate in nature and might not be able to brew perfectly in hard water. For a stronger liquor, allow the leaves to steep for 7 to 8 minutes. Lastly, strain out the tea leaves (not if you have used a tea infuser) before pouring the warm liquid into a cup.
How to Select the Finest Quality White Tea
The delicate and smooth beverage is one of its kind that allows you to enjoy it throughout the day. The caffeine level is so low that it does not harm your body even if you have emptied 2 to 3 cups a day. Instead, the high antioxidant level will rejuvenate your system and inject the healthy properties that come in white tea. But would you want to sip in some artificial flavors while remaining oblivious to the fact that you have not been provided with the best stuff?
To steer clear of this confusion, get your white tea from only the trusted brands around the world.
- Check the brand name and its reputation in the market before settling for it. If in the business for a long time, you are sure to get a review before making a decision.
- See if any added ingredients or flavors are added to it. If mentioned, do not hesitate to back away from that brand since the best white tea bags are supposed to be enjoyed at its purest and not with any artificial flavors.
- The manufacturing area is important when it comes to white tea. The nearer the brand is positioned to the tea garden, the lesser chances are there of passing the product through a number of middlemen.
Below are the answers to the list of probable queries about white tea that often arise in everyone’s minds.
1. Is white tea better than green tea?
Both white and green tea have rich antioxidants in them. However, since white tea is minimally processed, it has a higher level of antioxidants compared to green tea and also contains less caffeine. Therefore, white tea is always the healthier option and can be consumed two to three cups in a day.
2. How much caffeine is in white tea?
Though some people refer to white tea as caffeine-free, that is wrong. Like any other beverage, the fresh and lightly brewed white tea also contains caffeine in it but in a far lesser amount. One cup of white tea can have around 6-15 mg of caffeine depending on the type you are having.
3. How many cups of white tea should you drink a day?
With little amount of caffeine and high antioxidants, there is no denying the fact that white tea is healthy for the body. While some claim that it is safe to have up to ten cups a day, the best white tea brands suggest the normal level of three to five times in a day. Most people enjoy two to four cuppas in a day!
4. When should I drink white tea?
White tea helps in burning fat cells and improves the skin and hair texture quite considerably. There is no specific time for drinking white tea; it can be enjoyed anytime anywhere. You can consume it along with your daily meals or on an empty stomach or before going to bed.
5. Can I drink white tea at night?
Caffeine excites nerves and helps in keeping you awake. But since white tea contains a very little amount of caffeine, there is no harm in drinking it before going to bed. In fact, studies say that white tea before sleep can improve skin texture and give it a shiny glow.
6. Does white tea make you sleepy?
White tea contains L-theanine, which works as a calming agent. If you are tired or stressed, a cup of white tea can soothe your nerves by lulling you to sleep for a bit. However, you would not have drowsiness all day long, and two to three cups can make you work just as fine.
7. Is white tea anti-inflammatory?
Polyphenol EGCG is an excellent anti-inflammatory substance that is present in white tea. Therefore, regular consumption of the tea can considerably reduce the risk of getting Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease. Studies have shown that EGCG lessens inflammation by suppressing free radicals and also lowers other risk factors that might enhance the diseases.
8. Does white tea lower blood pressure?
White tea definitely works a great deal in maintaining the blood pressure. With its helpful properties, the tea thins the blood to make the artery function better. By lowering the blood pressure, it not only makes the blood vessels healthy and strong but also lessens the chances of getting a stroke as well.
9. Is white tea good for the stomach?
Due to its high antioxidant properties and less caffeine content, white tea does not have any damaging effect on the stomach even with three to four cups in a day. It is seen to improve digestion, makes liver and kidney function better, soothes stomach cramps and even takes off the feeling of nausea.
10. Why is white tea so expensive?
White tea is rare compared to the other types of teas. It is only harvested for a short period of time each time and hence is not abundantly available. Therefore, the price goes up for whatever that goes out in the market. Needless to say that its multiple health benefits as well make it expensive.
RELATED TEA REVIEWS