If you are looking for the best Gunpowder Green Tea, you are in the right place! Gunpowder Green Tea, also known as Pearl Tea, is a popular variety of Chinese green tea obtained from the Camellia Sinensis plant. It is famous for its versatility, smoky flavour and resemblance to gunpowder grains which gives it this rather unusual name.
Each leaf of this tea is withered and steamed, then tightly rolled into little pellets and dried. Rolling the leaves not only protects it from physical damage but also preserves its natural aroma and rich flavour.
Compared to other varieties of Green tea, Gunpowder Green Tea Loose Leaf tea is richer in caffeine content, has a more yellowish colour and maintains its freshness for a longer time.
To judge the quality of the tea, take a look at the size of the tea leaves. As a general rule, the higher the quality of the tea, the shinier and smaller its pellet size will be, and the lower the quality of the tea, the bigger its pellet size.
Gunpowder Green Tea is one of the best varieties of green teas as it boosts immunity, controls cholesterol, reduces blood pressure and the risk of chronic diseases, including heart trouble.
You might want to read –
Let’s take a look at our top 5 picks of best Gunpowder Green Tea Brands –
Best Gunpowder Green Tea Brands in 2020 : Our Top 5 Picks
- Full-bodied and aromatic
- Clear golden colour
- Earthy and fresh notes
Free from artificial ingredients, the Twinings of London Green Gunpowder Loose Tea brings alive the legacy of Thomas Twining who started selling fine tea in London, way back in 1706. Since then, Twining Teas have been sold in over 100 countries.
Made from carefully hand-selected leaves, this is a tasteful, crisp and full-bodied green tea with a clear golden colour and an aromatic, mellow flavour. One sip and you will get to taste its smooth, fresh and earthy notes.
To brew an enjoyable cup of tea, all you have to do is steep the tea for 3 minutes, and you’re all set to indulge in a memorable tea experience.
- This green tea from Twinings is rich in antioxidants that will help you to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
- It will make you feel instantly refreshed and invigorated.
- It is a versatile tea that can be enjoyed at any time of the day, making it an ideal purchase all year round.
- You can have this tea either piping hot or as an iced tea with lemon.
- The Twinings brand is known for its high-quality products and follows the mantra – sourcing with care.
- When you purchase this tea, you can count on bringing home a quality product that will fulfil all your tea drinking aspirations.
- Some customers felt that the tea lacked its usual aroma and fullness of flavours.
- Few customers were disappointed to find more loose powder/dust in the tea tin rather than the actual tea leaves.
- Full-leaf tea
- Made from real ingredients
- Medium caffeine level
- Aromatic flavours
The Numi brand stands out for its dedication to bringing you tea made from real ingredients and fresh flavours without any artificial fragrances. Their Numi Organic Tea Gunpowder Green is a full-leaf tea with no tea dust and no artificial flavourings.
If you are looking for a premium organic gunpowder green tea that has a freshness of flavours and promises to give you a well-rounded tea drinking experience, consider purchasing the Numi Organic Gunpowder Green Tea.
This loose leaf tea contains small tightly rolled pearls which when steeped, start to unfurl, and release their aromatic flavours. The tea has medium caffeine levels, and you can steep this tea in hot water for just about 2 minutes.
The tea maintains its flavours for a long time so you can add water to it more than once if you so, please! Numi brings you its teas in easy-to-use, re-sealable pouches so you can easily preserve the tea’s freshness.
- The Gunpowder Green tea from Numi has a pleasant flavour.
- It contains just the right amounts of caffeine and is a great drink to start the day.
- The tea retains its flavours even after refilling the water.
- The tea is steamed and skilfully hand-rolled within hours of being plucked which preserves its natural aroma and flavour.
- The Numi brand uses non-GMO ingredients.
- All its ingredients are sourced from Fair Trade Certified Gardens.
- After brewing the tea, some customers found soil-like sediment deposits at the bottom of their teapot/teacup.
- Few complained that the tea is not full-leafed; rather, it contains a lot of broken leaves.
- 100% organic tea
- Nutty, smooth and vegetal notes
- Deep amber colour
- High caffeine content
The Positively Tea Company’s Organic Pinhead Gunpowder tea is a 100% organic, high-quality green tea with nutty, smooth and vegetal notes. It has naturally derived flavours and is free from chemicals or harsh additives.
The tea originates from China and is considered to have a high level of caffeine content. A perfect accompaniment during meal times, this organic gunpowder green tea has a deep amber colour and is hand-rolled by artisans to preserve its beautiful flavours.
For a perfect brew, you can steep the tea for 3 to 4 minutes at 175°F to 185°F. As you add the water, you will notice how the tiny curled leaves start to open up and release their beautiful flavours and aroma.
- The Positively Tea Company’s Organic Pinhead Gunpowder is organically farmed and chemical-free.
- It is a robust, high-quality tea with a pleasant flavour.
- Many customers found it to be reasonably priced.
- The tea is packaged well and comes in a re-sealable bag for easy use and storage.
- Customers complained that there were a lot of twigs in the tea.
- Some customers felt that the tea lacked good flavour and aroma.
- Few customers found the tea to be a little bland.
- Some disliked the bitterness they tasted towards the end of drinking their cup of tea.
- Organic green tea
- Strong and deep smoky flavour
- Loose leaf bulk tea
- USDA Certified Organic
- Packed in a stand-up pouch with aluminium foil lining
If you are looking for a blend of loose-leaf bulk tea that will rejuvenate your mind and your body within seconds of drinking it, get your bag of Davidson’s Gunpowder Green Tea today.
Known for its strong and deep flavour, this organic green tea from China (USDA Certified Organic) comes in a stand-up pouch with aluminium foil lining that preserves its freshness.
To prepare this tea, the tea leaves are rolled into pellets, steamed and then dried before they can be packaged and shipped to you. Once the leaves are steeped in water, the leaves will start to unfurl and release their flavours, giving you a tasteful organic gunpowder green tea that is enjoyable to drink!
- This Gunpowder Green Tea Loose Leaf from Davidson’s is a refreshing brew.
- It contains rejuvenating properties to help you feel refreshed and energised, any time of the day.
- It has a deep smoky flavour as well as a mellow and layered taste.
- Some customers appreciated its pleasant smell.
- There were a few complaints that the tea was poorly packed.
- Some customers were disappointed to find sub-standard material in the tea pouch.
- Loose light tea
- Fresh and delicate flavour with sweet aroma
- Rich in antioxidants
- Clear green liquor
The Taylors brand is located in Yorkshire and is the recipient of the ‘British Tea Councils Best Cup of Tea in England’ Award. It has a rich history that dates back to 1886 and is synonymous with a commitment to quality, creativity and respect.
The Harrogate Imperial Gunpowder Loose Tea from Taylors is a refreshing and earthy blend. It is made by tightly rolling whole young leaves. This process preserves the freshness of the tea leaves for a longer time.
The caffeine levels of this tea are low while its antioxidant properties are high. For your convenience, the tea comes packaged in a reusable and attractive tin that helps to maintain its freshness.
The moment you add hot water to the tea and let it infuse for 2-3 minutes, you will notice the leaves unfurl and release their beautiful flavours.
- It is a high-quality tea.
- The tea has a natural sweetness.
- Some customers have appreciated its reasonable price and elegant packaging.
- We did not find any major complaints about this tea.
How to brew Gunpowder Green tea?
Gunpowder Green Tea makes a flavourful and tasty brew that you can sit back and enjoy from the comforts of your home. It is a great choice to start your day, and it can also be enjoyed along with your major meals.
To make a perfect cup of Gunpowder Green tea –
- Take about 150 ml of water and keep the temperature of the water below boiling level, just between 70-80°C or 160-180°F.
- If using a kettle, let the water boil and then cool it off for about 2 minutes.
- Once the water is ready, add 1 teaspoon of your favourite gunpowder green tea.
- To make a larger quantity of tea, add 1 teaspoon to every 150 ml of water.
- Since this variety of green tea is stronger than most other green teas, do not add too much quantity of tea leaves.
- Allow the tea a steeping time of about 3 minutes to 5 minutes, depending on how strong and concentrated you want your tea to be.
The Ideal Steeping Time –
- If you prefer light tea, 2-3 minutes of steeping time should be sufficient.
- However, if you like your tea strong, give it a couple more minutes.
- If the water is very hot, you can reduce the steeping time accordingly.
Additionally, we recommend that you look for the brewing instructions mentioned on the packaging of your Gunpowder Green Tea and follow them. Depending on how your cup of tea turns out, you can always adjust the timing and quantities after tasting your first cup.
Whether you are a tea connoisseur or someone who has just started experimenting with the different varieties of tea, we recommend that you give the Gunpowder Green Tea a try. We are sure its aroma and flavours will win you over!
RELATED TEA REVIEWS